Friday, August 21, 2009

Chicken California



I found this recipe on a blog called Dinner Time Ideas. I got excited because I love anything wrapped in a tortilla. (These uncooked tortillas we get at Costco, are amazing) I thought they would taste bland but I was really surprised when they tasted great! We've had them several times since, it is a new family favorite. I didn't have fresh parsley, I rarely do, but it is just as good without.

CHICKEN CALIFORNIA

4 T butter
4 T flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups chicken, cooked & shredded or cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 dozen flour tortillas
2 T chopped parsley

1) Preheat oven to 350*.
2) Measure flour, salt & pepper into small bowl.
3) Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add flour/salt/pepper all at once. Whisk until mixed well.
4) Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth & bubbly.
5) SLOWLY stir in milk, whisking constantly, and heat to boiling. Continue stirring until smooth & thickened.
6) Reserve half of sauce, set aside.
7) Put a spoonful each of chicken, cheese and sauce in each tortilla, then roll up enchilada-style. Lay side-by-side in a 9x13” pan.(I just add 1 tablespoon of sauce to each tortilla)
8) Spread remaining sauce evenly over top of rolled tortillas. Sprinkle with remaining cheese & chopped parsley.
9) Bake uncovered at 350* for 20-25 mins.

Click Here for the original post on Dinner Time Ideas.

3 comments:

annieandjustin said...

mm that sounds yummy. going to have to make it next week!

reabbotted said...

They're best when they're fresh with a little bit of crunchiness on the tortilla, but they are also quite good for left overs for taking to work.

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This looks really yummy and I just might have to try it this week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails