Friday, September 4, 2009

Brown Rice and Black Bean Burger

I was really excited to try this burger because my husband LOVES burgers. I thought if this was good it could be a healthier substitute. I wasn't sure how to eat these burgers because on the original site she just eats them alone with guacamole, but we tried them just like regular hamburgers and they were delicious. My husband said he didn't feel bad about eating two.

Southwest Brown Rice and Black Bean Burgers

  • 2 cups brown rice, cooked
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1-3 tablespoons minced jalapeno or green chilies, (canned is fine)
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • cheese, if desired
Mix rice, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onion, cilantro, chilies, salsa, and egg white in large bowl. Mixture will be very moist. Add flour, using only enough so that you can shape the mixture into patties. Dust the outside of the patties lightly with flour. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and warm. Add patties and cook until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Sprinkle with cheese, reduce heat to low and cover with lid to melt cheese. Serve with guacamole, if desired.

I found this recipe on Prudence Penny Wise, a really fun site with a ton of good recipes.

3 comments:

Nicole Feliciano said...

This is a great alternative to meat dinners. We try to go veg one or two nights a week. I hope you'll swing by my recipe swap and share:
http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/09/friday-feasts-summer-squash.html

Lori said...

I am soooo gonna try this! I have been trying to find a good recipe for a rice and black bean burger (I am a vegetarian) and I have not been able to find one that I like! It looks delicious!

(And I am going to follow your blog now!!!)

You rock!

Lamonica said...

This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Stopping by from SITS

http://fabulousgccandles.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails